Thursday, May 26, 2011

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions"

I painted my fingernails black today. I used to think only "goth" people could get away with this, but Gretchen tells me it's acceptable for anyone to do so nowadays and I'm glad. Firstly, because it's stupid that a color should represent a group of people; secondly, because I want to paint my fingers whatever damn color I feel like without comment; and thirdly, because it suits my mood these days.

I truly did believe that after everything that's happened this past school year, things would start to look up once summer hit. Then I came to Muhlenberg. Now, don't get me wrong, I KNOW that this job is going to benefit me in some way. I'm going to learn a lot (hopefully sooner rather than later) and make a bunch of new friends (maybe . . . ?) and have something stellar to put on my resume (if anyone in Philly cares about Muhlenberg SMT, that is). I'm being a pessimist. I know it. I accept it. I even apologize for it. But SOMEONE needs to explain to me what I did to deserve the task of sorting the "White Button" drawer on Wednesday, do so for seven hours with only a brief break for lunch, and then arrive on Thursday only to be told all that's left is to sort the damn "Purple Button" drawer, pull a few Fedoras, and sit on my ass for 2 hours. "Do you have a personal project you can work on?" No. I was told that under no circumstances was I to use the shop for my own projects, so I didn't bring one scrap of fabric.

Nor, apparently, did I bring (1) hangers, (2) cutlery or dishes, (3) any food besides Ramen, Saltines, and white rice, (4) a cardigan, (5) my camera, (6) a refrigerator, (7) a new BC prescription, (8) any plays or monologues to work on for TAGPs, (9) ANYTHNG to decorate my sad freshman dorm room, or (10) my tolerance. Clearly huge oversights while I was packing an hour before I had to leave East Petersburg, but I'm giving myself some allowances on this front considering I'd just moved back into my house the day before.

The tolerance thing I'm working on. It was going reasonably well--until fifteen minutes ago:

"Dear Lauren,

Your callback for our fringe show is on Saturday, June 11th, at 10:00am. Please let me know if this is a problem.

Sincerely,

Person-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named"

Funny. FUNNY. Because I could've sworn six weeks ago that you told me it was on June 4th. I also could've sworn that that was why I asked for and was granted that day off of work.

"Dear Person-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named,

I am still interested in auditioning, but I was told that my callback was on June 4 and therefore only asked off of work for that day. I am in Allentown working on costumes for Muhlenberg's Summer Music Theatre and their first show is in tech June 11, so I will be unable to attend the final casting call for that day. If there is any other weekend that I can be seen, please let me know. If not, I'm very sorry but I will be unable to attend.

Thank you,

Lauren"

FUNNY, isn't it? I barely got off for my TAGP audition on June 13th, so there is no way I'll be able to make a callback for a Philly Fringe show. It's something I need to get used to, I guess. I'm just not needing this right now.

On the bright side! Jess is having me over for dinner tonight. And she is lovely and picked me up last night and we went to Starbucks and Target and talked for a bit. I'm glad that, since it doesn't look like I'll have an opportunity to interact with anyone who works at SMT, I still have a friend nearby.

Tomorrow will be better. I now know to bring a book to work--just in case.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment